I don’t think I need to start this post with all the good things about our legs – we all know how much we depend on this part of our body in our daily lives. However, some of my clients express the wish for longer legs. Although I don’t know how to get longer legs (except through a lot of exercise or torture perhaps), I do know you can choose your clothing and accessories to make your legs look longer.
Basically, you make your legs look longer by using clothing and shoes to trick the eye so that the distance from your waist to the floor appears longer. You use many of the same fashion illusions that you have used before to elongate or lengthen –
- vertical lines or stripes
- continuous long line of the same color
- no horizontal lines or breaks.
Here are the tips.
1. Focus on how you dress your bottom half
Concentrate the most on what you wear on the bottom. If you want to wear longer pants or skirts try this:
- Wear your pants as long as possible with the hem covering your heels
- Wide legs are best
- Vertical stripes or lines are best
- Avoid mid-calf or cropped lengths
- Avoid horizontal stripes or lines
2. Create an illusion of a higher waist
- Wear high-waisted pants or skirts; high-waisted pencil skirts are good
- Wear a shorter length jacket or top
- Wear an empire waist maxi
- Tuck-in your tops
- Avoid low rise jeans or longer length tops
3. Expose as much leg as possible (if you’re comfortable with this)
- Go as short as you can with the length of your dress or skirt
- It’s summer-time – shorts are great
- Use self-tanner
- Use a shimmer stick or highlighter from your thigh all the way down your shin to your foot
- Match your shoe color with your leg color – usually nude
- Wear pointed-toe & low vamp shoes
- Avoid any horizontal straps on shoes
4. Create a long column of color on your bottom half
Create one column of color from your waist to the floor.
- Wear a long skirt with high waist
- Wear a maxi dress with empire waist
- Match your shoes and tights with the color of your skirt
- Match your shoes with the color of your pants
5. Pick your shoes wisely
Of course, you can wear heels, platforms or wedges to make your legs look longer. However, here are a few more tips to consider when you select your shoes:
- Wear pointed-toe & low-vamp shoes with skirts or dresses
- Tall boots are best; avoid ankle boots
- Match the color of your shoes to your bottom half – if you show your legs wear nude shoes; otherwise match your shoes to your pants
6. Believe you have long legs
Finally and most importantly, visualize your long legs and walk tall & proud.
If you like this post please share with your friends! Contact me if you’d like personal style advice.
LOOK GREAT | FEEL GREAT | DO GREAT!