So sexy shoulders are in this spring? Well for all of those Pilates devotees out there… you’re in luck!! And for those new to Pilates – welcome and be warned.. it’s addicting!
Pilates is an excellent full body workout to increase muscle tone, flexibility, posture, and create those long, lean muscles that we’re all looking for. While Pilates tones the entire body, our clients often comment on how they love the changes they see in their shoulders and arms. A lot of this has to do with specific upper body exercises in Pilates, but is also because Pilates addresses a lot of posture work. Our clients stand taller with a long back and open chest, this improved posture also helps to create long lines and highlight shoulder definition.
A few exercises you can do at home to amp up those sexy shoulders:
- Practice Planking! Hold a plank position for 20 seconds and try to work your way up to one minute. Keep the chest open and shoulder blades drawing down and back.
- Standing Pilates Arms: Holding 2-5lb weights stand up tall, feet hip distance apart. (throughout all exercises keep a long neck and keep the shoulders away from your ears – if you feel any discomfort stop!)
- start with your palms facing your hips and ‘shoulder fly’ the arms out to the sides of the room (repeat 10-20x)
- hold the weights by your ears, palms facing forward with your elbows bent like football goal posts. Press the weights above your head, keeping your shoulders down, away from your ears (repeat 10-20x)
- start in the same position as above but now, bring the weights together in front of your face – as if your palms were going to clap in front of your nose – open and close (repeat 10-20x)
Or… we’d love to have you join us for a class! Check out ARM & AB BLAST with Megan 9:15 on Thursdays or any of our other sculpting classes that we offer throughout the week. Come work those sexy shoulders so we can rock the fashion trends this spring!
Elizabeth Dewey, Studio 47 Founder