What does knowing your body shape really do for you? First and foremost, understanding your body shape helps to determine what styles, fabrics, prints, and accessories will enhance and flatter your appearance.
Body shape is one component of an “effortless style”
The three main components of finding your “effortless style” are 1.) discovering your style personality, 2.) understanding your body shape and 3.) knowing what colors enhance your look. I’ve already written about your Style Personality (Discover Your Style Personality) which I do consider the most important component, and now I am going to explain the value of understanding your body shape and how to dress it.
What is your body shape?
First of all, every woman’s body shape is unique and your shape changes as you go through various stages of life. It’s especially helpful to evaluate your size and shape whenever you’ve been through a body change. It’s also good to evaluate your shape as part of any style assessment or improvement.
Body shape is essentially your silhouette. We determine your body shape by taking your measurements – shoulders, bust, waist, and hips. We also discuss which parts of your body you consider your assets and which parts you perceive as flaws. Again, I emphasize perceive as what you think may be a flaw may not be seen as a flaw to others!
- Hourglass – shoulders and hips are similar measurements with a clearly defined waist
- Round – also known as apple; balanced hips and shoulders & no definition at the waist; shapely legs
- Rectangle – bust, waist, hips are of a similar measurement
- Inverted Triangle – also known as pear; broader shoulders than hips; little definition between waist and hips
- Triangle – shoulders are narrower than hips; slender upper body; fuller hips, bottom, and thighs
In addition to your body shape your proportions (how high or low your waist is) and your height also influence what clothes will flatter you the most.
What does knowing your body shape tell you?
Once you understand your shape and proportions, you can then start to choose the right styles, fabrics, prints, and accessories that will enhance your appearance and make the most of your best features.
The goals of a body shape analysis are to understand how to dress to:
- Balance out proportions
- Draw attention to good features
- Play down the less positive features
- Boost confidence, raise self-esteem & help you look and feel youthful.
This is just an introduction. To emphasize again, although understanding your body shape is very helpful when choosing your clothing, the most important element of style is to feel good and confident in the clothes you are wearing. Self-confidence is the most attractive quality a woman possesses.